- Herbivorous selectors and browsers (deer, etc.) 20 to 35% of the non-forage fraction of the diet.
- Herbivorous bulk roughage eaters/grazers (bison, etc.) 55 to 65% of the non-forage fraction of the diet.
- Camels 40% of the total forage fraction of the diet.
Alfalfa pellets can be fed to all livestock donkeys, mules, bison, camels, elk, deer, llamas, alpacas, emus, ostriches and more. Whether big or small, alfalfa can feed them all!
Some of the benefits of alfalfa use for these species are:
- Increased Feed Intake This is particularly beneficial for white-tailed deer, who have evolved to have a lower feed intake in winter and higher in summer.
- Dehy alfalfa pellets are extremely nutrient dense, meaning that even when deer are eating less in the winter time they'l still be able to receive the vital nutrients.
- This results in a lower loss of body condition and consequently improved feed efficiency.
- Also important for lactating camels.
- High Quality Protein Especially important for young newly weaned or creep feeding ruminants.
- Necessary for the adequate balance and availability of essential amino acids.
- Great Source of Fibre Necessary to reduce the risk of metabolic diseases such as lactic acidosis in smaller ruminants.
- Also important for emus and ostriches who require more fibre than their smaller poultry friends.
- Rich in Sulphur Containing Amino Acids Helps meet the high sulphur requirements that wool producing alpacas and llamas have.
For more information on the benefits of alfalfa for your species of choice please contact us and we'll be happy to discuss your feeding needs.